About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Tuesday 6 January 2015

HOMEMADE BERRIES COMPOTE WITH NO SUGAR ADDED


I was going to make my own churn-free cream cheese ice cream, and thought that I would go for a healthier version of the dessert. (Guilt-free!) Instead of buying pie fillings or simply pour the very sweet fruit jam into my ice cream, I decided to make my own berry compote with a tinge of tartness. I really liked the taste of this compote, and one could reduce the liquids through simmering to acquire the desired consistency.

Berry compote can be used on salads, cheesecakes, parfaits, pavlova, crepes, pancakes, etc, and with my not-so-sweet version, I can even use it as a sauce for my savoury meats!

DIY BERRIES COMPOTE WITH NO SUGAR ADDED
Ingredients
Juice from 1/2 large orange
Juice from one lime
Zest from one large orange
2 tbsp rum or brandy (optional)
250g strawberries, stem removed and cubed
200g blueberries
3 tbsp berry conserve or fruit jam (more or less, up to you)
1 to 2 tbsp corn flour
Method
  1. Put juices, zest, rum or brandy (if using),  berries in a small pot and bring to boil lightly. More fluid from the berries will ooze out.
  2. Mash the berries while stirring the mixture occasionally to prevent burning at base of pot. I did not fully mash up the berries as I would like to see some fruits in the final product.
  3. Stir in berry conserve and let mixture continue simmering for a few more minutes. Colour of mixture should deepen now.
  4. From the pot, scoop out about 3 tbsp of mixture onto a plate. Stir in corn flour till well mixed and pour the starched sauce back into the pot. Allow to simmer till mixture is thickened to desired consistency. You should obtain a darker shade as you reduced the sauce.
  5. Remove from stove and cool completely before use.
  6. May chill unused portion into a clean glass jar for about a week.
 
love the colours


more liquid from berries oozed out as the mixture simmered


mashed the berries with hand whisk as stirring continued
reduction of sauce began, colour deepened
Mixed corn flour in a small pool of sauce before putting back into pot
Sauce further reduced, colour deepened
Thickened to my required consistency
chill unused portion in a clean glass container

No comments:

Post a Comment