About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Wednesday 5 March 2014

CRANBERRY BUTTERMILK SCONES

Watched too much MasterChef lately. Recently the contestants were asked to make 6 perfect scones, and I saw how they did their fare. Some did beautifully, some were very confident but failed, others just did not pass the mark. After watching the episode, the craving for scones came and stuck on my mind for a few days. Finally I put the thought into action.

I was always inconsistent when making scones. Sometimes they turn out fine, mostly they turned out to be stones. So watching MasterChef helped me gain a few tips. Hope I'll be more consistent from now on.


Cranberry Buttermilk Scones (source: Mary Singelton)

Ingredients:
3 cups or 375g all purpose flour (I used low protein flour)
1/3 cup or 120g sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup buttermilk *
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp grated orange peel (I used 1 tbsp lemon peel, finely chopped)
Put aside 1 tbsp buttermilk and prepare cinnamon sugar **

*you can make your own buttermilk. In a measuring cup, place 1 tbsp lemon juice and fill to 1-cup mark with full cream milk. Leave to stand for 5-10 min. I added a few drops of white vinegar to assist.
** mix 2 tbsp sugar with 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder to make cinnamon sugar

Method:
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Cut in COLD butter to form like bread crumbs. (I used 2 forks to help me cut and mash. Temperature from our fingertips may cause the butter to soften, and will end up a not so satisfactory product)
2. Slowly stir in butter milk until just combined. You may not need to use all.
3. Fold in cranberries and peel.
4. Turn onto floured surface, gather the dough and pat into a ball to approx. 1/2 - 1 inch height. Do not overwork the dough. I like my scones crumbly, but if you like it more firm, knead the dough gently a few times. Cut into desired shapes or wedges. If using cookie cutter, make sure to flour the cutter for every cut. Place on lightly greased baking sheet, brush each scone with 1 tbsp buttermilk and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 200C for about 15-20 min or until golden brown. I used about 25 min as my biscuits were bigger.
6. Serve warm with beaten cream cheese (mixed with powdered sugar and vanilla extract) or jam.



No comments:

Post a Comment