About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Tuesday 24 September 2013

HAPPY (HAMMY) BREAD WITH NATURAL YEAST

The other day, I came across a picture of a beautiful array of roses in a basket, but they were actually all bread. Since then I harboured the thought of replicating the design, but using my own version and recipe. I wanted a very soft, sweet and light version and since my boys loved ham, I added in their favourite.
My version of Happy Bread
Recipe
140g bread flour
110 low protein flour (I used top flour)
80g sugar
125g natural yeast
100ml water approx.
2 tbsp oil
Some melted butter

1. Mix flours, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl. Mix them and slowly add water until the dough just holds. 
2. Pour out the dough onto the counter top. Knead to form a ball and add the oil. 
3. Knead and fold until the dough is smooth and can stretch a thin film.
4. Lightly oil the mixing bowl. Place the dough in it and flip over to ensure all surface is lightly coated with oil.
5. Cover the bowl and place in an oven with a cup of hot water to assist proofing. 

kneading completed


before proofing

sit in the oven till rise to double

 6. Depending on the performance of the natural yeast, it may take about 90min to 2.5hrs to proof. (I forgot about my dough and left the house for 3 hours!) 
7. Dough is ready when it has doubled in size and pass the poke test. (Flour a finger and poke the dough. If the hole does not bounce back, it is ready.)
doubled in size after 3 hours
8. Punch out all the air. I learnt that this is crucial if you do not want a sour-tasting bread.
9. Gently knead into a log and let rest for 30 min.
10. Cut the dough and shape to your desire.

brush with melted butter



the left and right will form the roses

 open up the petals
 place the roses in the centre and the rest at the sides. Leave some space!
10. Let the bread dough proof again for about 30min - 45min.
11. Brush the top with melted butter. Bake at 180C for 20min. Brush with melted butter again and bake for 5min or until brown.

We enjoyed this bread very much. My sons requested me to make this again. I was quite amazed at how much my youngest son ate. Usually he would only eat the ham. I think he likes the soft, sweet bread too.  成功! ^0^
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment