About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Sunday 1 September 2013

EASY MEATLOAF



I am a meat eater, so are my three boys. I was sharing with them canned meat were filled with fats and tons of preservatives, very little real stuff. I showed them pictures of meatloaves, enjoying watching them drooling. Hahaha. Suddenly requests of meatloaves came....... Ok, now the joke was on me.

As a mother, it is imperative that I add mixed vegetables into the loaf. You may choose not to add them. Most recipes will send the loaf directly into the oven, yet I did not. I prefer to steam the loaf first and then bake in oven until fully cooked. This way, the loaf will be juicy and save my electricity bills too!

Recipe:
400g pork  collar (五花肉) (ask the butcher to mince twice)
White bread, diced into small cubes
Frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
5 hard boiled eggs


Marinate:
(Sorry I did not take measurements of how much of below I added. I used my nose to sniff for the smell I was looking for, just like a rodent (or you may call me a canine too lah). You can experiment your own marinate)
Pepper
Salt
Dark soya sauce
Light soya sauce 
Tomato sauce
Chilli sauce
Oyster sauce
Sugar
Dried herbs
Homemade sweet rice wine (can replaced with sherry or Huatiao or red wine)
Corn starch

Method:
1. Mix the meat and bread cubes. Marinate overnight in a plastic container. Stir in mixed vegetables the next day.
2. Spread a layer of the minced meat in a aluminum foil container. Place the hard boiled eggs in a straight row, cover the eggs to the brim of container with the meat.

3. Prepare steamer. When the water is boiling, place the loaf in and steam for about 20 min using medium fire. Preheat oven 180C during steaming process. Then bake for the next 10-15 min. Turn up the temperature to about 200C-220C to give the loaf a nice shade.
 Juice is very good to mix into rice. Don't waste it ya


the work of my blunt knife...

Tip:
1. Make more and freeze the loaf uncooked for up to a month. I made 3 loaves with 1kg minced meat. I gave away one to my neighbour and froze the other loaf. 
2. Alternatively you can also shape the the meat into balls. You can fry, deep fry, steam or bake them. I usually have these in my freezer so that I can spend less time in kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment