About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Friday 6 November 2015

THAI PAPAYA SALAD INSPIRED CABBAGE SALAD


It had been quite warm recently. We needed something refreshing for our meals. Since my little men were requesting for meat-free meals, I wanted to do something special. I pranced upon this idea of Thai papaya salad, but instead of young papaya, I used cabbage instead. The traditional way of preparing papaya salad was to use pestle and motar. Well, I only had a small stone version in my kitchen, and if I were to pound everything, it would take forever. So there was very little pounding for this. The results? Cool and refreshing!

As this dish was to feed my entire family, young and old, it was not feasible to make it too hot on the tongue. Of course if I had it my way, I would add chilli padi (Yumz!!!), but that would be cruel to the rest of the clan. So I had to make adjustments here and there, and came up with this cold dish. I was quite pleased =)



THAI PAPAYA SALAD INSPIRED CABBAGE SALAD
Ingredients
1/4 cabbage, sliced thinly
1 carrot, grated
4 long beans
1 red chilli, de-seeded, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp chopped shallots
1 red tomato, de-seeded, cut into thin wedges
3/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
Juice of 6  - 8 calamansi + some zest from 2 -3 calamansi

Toppings
Roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
Coriander leaves, roughly chopped

Method
1. In a pot with boiling water, gently blanch long beans for about 10-15 seconds. Drain and cut into 2-cm strips.
2. Using pestle and motar, pound garlic and shallots.
3. Place sliced cabbages into a big salad or mixing bowl. Crush the cabbages with your hands to destroy the fibrous structure.
4. Place all the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Adjust taste according to your preference.
5. Garnish with roasted peanuts and coriander leaves.

There you have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment