About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Saturday 14 November 2015

HOMEMADE MEATLESS TOFU (STEAMED THEN FRIED OR BAKED)



I am not a fan of Tau Kwa, but I love TOFUUUU! This is an easy dish to make, but it can be quite time consuming. I used to fry after steaming the delicate pieces, but by the time I finished, I would be so hungry! And to turn it into a healthier dish, I decided to bake them instead. 

OK, OK, I confess.... baking is way much faster as I do not have to wait so long!

I do not use fish paste for this dish although I believe with the paste it will taste better. As a not-very-rich-homemaker, I try to find substitutes to save on costs. In order to make the tofu firmer, I add potato flour instead. I used a mixture of pressed tofu and silken tofu in my first attempt, but found it too soft although manageable. I prefer to use only pressed tofu later on.

HOMEMADE MEATLESS TOFU
Ingredients
2 x 360g Japanese Pressed Tofu (板豆腐)
1 large onion, diced
5 stalks scallions, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, deseeded, diced
1 medium carrot, grated, juice squeezed out
2 eggs, beaten
4 tbsp potato flour

Seasonings  (by estimation, adjust to own preference)
1 tsp chicken stock powder or 1/3 cubed chicken stock
3 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper

For frying:
Corn Flour for coating and oil for frying

For baking:
Beaten egg for first coat
Bread crumbs for second coat + 1 tbsp oil stirred into bread crumbs

Methods
1. Prepare a wok/steamer with boiling water for steaming. Line a 13x7 rectangle pan with non-stick baking paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, place all vegetables into bowl. Drain tofu of water and place into mixing bowl.


3. Add beaten egg and seasonings into bowl. Using your hands, mash tofu and mix everything evenly.
4. Add potato flour. (You may give a little taste to see if seasonings require adjustment)
5. Pour mixture on to prepared pan, level top and steam for 20 minutes.


6. Be careful when lifting lid to avoid water from dripping onto tofu. You may use kitchen towel to gently dap away moisture.
7. Carefully lift the sides of baking paper to transfer steamed tofu on cooling rack. Cool completely.
8. Transfer tofu by sliding baking paper onto chopping board. Using a sharp knife, slice into bite sizes.

9a. If you wish to fry it, carefully coat each piece with corn flour and fry till golden brown. Soak excess oil with kitchen towel before placing in serving plate.


9b. If you wish to bake it, preheat oven at 200C. Carefully dip each piece into beaten egg and coat with bread crumbs. Place on baking tray and bake for about 20 min.




No comments:

Post a Comment