About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Tuesday 22 July 2014

PUMPKIN THICK SOUP

My mother in law bought a pumpkin (actually two but now left one) for quite a while. She loves pumpkin, but the rest of us are not so keen. She reminisced the thick, creamy pumpkin she had when she visited Vietnam many years ago, and asked if I could make it. That's was a challenge because I had never tasted thick pumpkin soup before. So I looked up the internet for some ideas, and came up with a I-think-may-turn-out-alright version. To my surprise, the soup was well received by family and a neighbour.


PUMPKIN THICK SOUP
Ingredients
1 tsp cumin (aniseed)
2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 potatoes, cubed
1 whole pumpkin, cubed
3 cups of water
1 can button mushroom, quartered
1/3 cube Knorr chicken essence
salt and pepper to taste

Garnish
Whipping cream or milk or plain yogurt
Black pepper
took me quite a while to finish cutting up this much pumpkin! phew!
1. When preparing potatoes, soak cubes in water for a while and drain.
2. In a small pot, using very low heat, fry cumin till fragrant. It takes about a minute. Then grind finely and set aside.

3. In a medium sized pot, with low-medium heat, melt butter and saute diced onion till translucent. (Cover the pot and let simmer for a while to quicken the pace)
4. Add in ground cumin and fry for a minute more.
5. Add in diced potatoes. Continue stirring and increase heat to medium. Keep stirring for about 8 minutes.
6. Add in cubed pumpkin. Stir fry for about 10 minutes.
7. Add water and allow to boil, occasionally stirring the pot.
8. Add in mushrooms and continue to boil lightly until the pumpkin and potatoes are soft.

pumpkin and potatoes are now soft!
9. Add in chicken cube, salt and pepper to taste.
10. Blend the soup till smooth.
I used a hand held blender, but a normal blender can be used too


11. Serve warm with whipping cream and a dash of black pepper.

VERDICT
You may opt out the potatoes if you do not like the soup too thick, or you may add only one potato. 
My husband and I liked the cumin which really enhanced the flavour, while I sensed my mother in law wished it was not added in.


No comments:

Post a Comment