About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Sunday 26 March 2017

BERRIES WITH YOGURT BUNDT CAKE


I had been sourcing for my ideal bundt cake mould for the longest time. I did not want to settle for silicone ones although they were more affordable, neither did I want to get mini or large ones, so I really took my time to search for the right size with a pattern that I liked at a cost that fitted my budget. After months of searching and drooling, I finally got my Chef Made's 7-inch non-stick kugelhopf mould via online from China. (Happy Little Mouse!)

There are no special recipes for bundt cakes. Most cake recipes can be used except for ones that are similar to chiffon cakes where greasing of moulds are forbidden. It is called a bundt cake because of its unique pattern and shape. Do ensure the mould is well greased so that the cake can slide out easily.

It has been quite warm lately, going to supermarkets' cold section is so welcoming. My boy and I went shopping for ingredients, not knowing what to get. Our feet naturally brought us to chiller section where the yogurt was, instinctively I grabbed one pot of mixed berries yogurt. Then it hit me. We should get frozen berries to make this cake! We were spoiled for choice as we giggled by the freezer door. In the end, both of us agreed to get this frozen cranberries and blueberries because it had the lowest retail price. (Well, I must spare a thought for my hubby's wallet when I indulge myself, right?)

This recipe is adjusted from a blueberry muffin recipe by Bear Naked Food (http://www.bearnakedfood.com/2015/09/11/best-blueberry-muffins/). I used frozen berries, but fresh ones work fine too. At first I thought the cake would not cook well as the added frozen berries caused the batter to turn cold almost like ice cream. To my dismay, the skewer came out very wet after 30 minutes of baking. No choice but I had to summon for patience card by extending baking time with lowered temperature, which helped to cook further without darkening top of cake. The result was simply fantastic! The tartness of cranberries and milder taste of blueberries were perfect, not to mention the fragrance which the yogurt emitted!  I had wanted to make a drizzle of icing or chocolate ganache, but hubby preferred its natural taste. (Maybe next time ^0^)


BERRIES WITH YOGURT BUNDT CAKE (after adjustments)
Ingredients
115g salted butter, softened
140g caster sugar

2 eggs (I used 50g eggs)
1 tbsp vanilla extract

100g low protein flour
140g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
125g mixed berry yogurt

225g frozen cranberries + blueberries

Method
1. Preheat oven at 190C. Grease bundt cake mould well with butter.
2. Sift flours, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar till light and pale. Scrape down a few times to ensure even consistency.
4. Add one egg and 2 tbsp of sifted flour into creamed butter. Beat till incorporated, and repeat for the next egg. 
5. Add in vanilla extract. Scrape down batter and beat till well combined.
6. Add 1/3 of remaining flour into batter. Using low speed, beat for about one minute. 
7. Add half of yogurt into batter and beat for one minute.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
9. Stop the mixer. Now fold in the last 1/3 flour with spatula till well combined.
10. Fold in all the fruits into batter. The batter feels cold and thick now.
11. Pour batter into mould. Level top and tap on counter top a few times to release air pockets.
12. Bake at 190C for 20mins, then lower to 160C for 30 min. Cake is done when skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre or when cake shrinks at the side.
13. Cool cake in mould for 5min, and then remove to cool completely on wire rack.



Looks like ice cream!

Velvety texture with perfect taste of sweet and sour elements

Extra batter in cupcakes. Love the different colours the berries produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment