About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Wednesday 17 December 2014

DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE WITH PEANUT BUTTER AND IRISH CREAM BAILEYS WHIPPED CREAM


Kakakaka, my mother-in-law was out of town! That meant I could naughtily buy some peanut butter ^,^. Somehow, she did not (and still does not) approve us of eating store-bought peanut butter as she thought the peanuts must had rotted in order to be used. I gave up trying to let her see the light years back, so I never got it ever since. It was my 5 year old son's very first time trying out this creamy goodness.

I was craving for a rich chocolate cake the other day but hesitated as I wanted to keep extra weight off. But in the end, after one day of hesitation, I still went ahead with this one (^0^)

My other son helped me to make this batch of cake sponge. It was not a good day for him so I thought this might distract him a little and he could also learn something new during the school holiday. I got him to measure out the ingredients and beat the batter.... messy, messy, messy, yet I could not bring myself to growl at his untidiness. I was supposed to help him feel better, right? Forbearance, patience, breathing techniques... all required here (o.o''')

I had a picture in my mind on how my cake would turn out. But it did not materialize because my littlest one insisted on his own design. (Sigh) I had wanted chocolate shards to top the cake, but my prince only insisted on chocolate chips. I suspected he wanted to nimble on the chips as he decorated. Boo-hoo-hoo! = (

DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE WITH PEANUT BUTTER AND IRISH CREAM BAILEYS WHIPPED CREAM
Cake Sponge (adapted from Joan Hayes in Chocolate Chocolate and More!)
Ingredients
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups fine sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp fine salt
1 1/4 cup Espresso
1/4 cup milk

Method
  1. Prepare 3 x 6" round cake pans, grease them and line with baking papers at base of pans.
  2. Combine plain flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt well. Sift and set aside.
  3. Combine coffee and milk in a container.
  4. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and add sugar in batches till pale and fluffy.
  5. Gently stir in cocoa powder and vanilla extract, mix well.
  6. Using low speed, add in eggs, one at a time beating well after every addition.
  7. Scrape down the sides and beat using medium speed to combine well.
  8. With beaters at low speed, add flour and coffee mixture alternately to batter in a few batches, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down the sides and combine well.
  9. Divide batter evenly among the baking pans, level batter top and give a few taps for each pan.
  10. Bake in preheated oven of 175C for about 25-30min or until skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle. Do not over bake. (I baked 2 pans first and later the 3rd pan. Keep waiting batter covered)
  11. Let cool in pan for 10 min, turn out onto rack and remove baking paper to cool completely.
  12. Assemble cake and chill before serving.


Irish Cream Baileys Whipped Cream
Ingredients
20g salted butter, softened
300g cold thickened cream
30ml Irish Baileys
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Methods
  1. Cream butter.
  2. Pour in cream and beat till slightly thickened.
  3. Add in liquor and powdered sugar.
  4. Beat till cream is stiff.
  5. Chill in fridge till ready to use.
Assembly
Ingredients
Sugar syrup
Peanut butter
Chocolate Chips or Shards
brush cake top with sugar syrup before spreading peanut butter and cream.

My prince in action
Rich, soft and tall cake! Make sure your fridge has enough space for it to chill.

1 comment:

  1. Great for any occasion, definitely devil into our stomach, makes us feel guilty but satisfy

    ReplyDelete