About Me

My photo
Little Mouse started to wreck the kitchen more often since 2012 through learning via internet, social networks. The rodent used to cook/bake only occasionally but is glad to show improvement :) This blog is just to capture her kitchen journey so that over the years, rodent knows if she has made advancements. Have a blessed day~~

Translate 翻译

Thursday 2 October 2014

MOIST CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE



Cuppies with two-toned cream cheese butter frosting
I have been searching for the ideal chocolate cupcake recipe, tested a few recipes here and there, but there is always something that does not quite make the mark. My idea of a perfect chocolate cupcake should be:
1. light
2. moist
3. chocolatey with no weird aftertaste
4. not overly sweet
5. the cake top should not a high round dome. 
see a flow of roundness-es, but no worries. upon cooled, they plateau nicely
I am so glad I tried out this recipe, I think so far.... this is it!! And it is very easy too =) I mix the plain flour with cake flour to achieve a lighter texture, as I feel that 100% cake flour may not be able to support the frosting or fondant.

Made creamy caramel and drizzled on a whipped cream cupcake. Yummy!
After baking, I piped in some whipped cream mixed with jam into the cake before frosting. Chocolate or hazelnut spread cream will be a great surprise (awwwww...!!)

Frosting in the picture is my very own cream cheese butter frosting. I love this as it is stable, can sit prettily in room temperature for hours and tastes great. Of course my son prefers it chilled from the fridge, but I do not mind its creaminess at room temperature.

The cuppies are so delicious I gobbled four of them and wanted more! I have to resist attacking them for the sake of my hubby and boys.

MOIST CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE (adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction)
Ingredients
A)
115g unsalted butter
57g semi sweet chocolate chips

B)
42g unsweetened cocoa powder
95 plain flour (I mixed 45g plain flour + 50 cake flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

C)
2 large eggs
100g fine sugar
50g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

D)
120ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk (You can DIY buttermilk by adding 2 tbsp vinegar and top up with fresh milk, rest for at least 5 minutes)

Method
1. Over a pot of simmering water, melt (A) completely. Set aside to cool.
2. In a bowl, mix well (B). Set aside.
3. Whisk (C) till smooth. Stir in cooled, melted (A).
4. Add half of (B) into (3) use a hand whisk to stir till just combined.
5. Add in D and mix well.
6. Add in last half of (B) and stir till just incorporated. Do not over mix. Batter is thick and runny.
7. In a lined 12-holes muffin tray, fill cups till 80% full. I used my ice cream scoop, giving each cup 3 full scoops.
8. In preheated oven at 170C, bake for 18 min or until skewer comes out clean when poked in centre. No not overbake. You can start checking in its 15th min. Cool completely.

9. Frost the cake and chill in fridge.

Yields about 12 cakes

Cream Cheese Butter Frosting
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
250g unsalted butter, softened*
1 cup icing sugar, sift
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 tbsp milk or juice
Food colouring  of your choice


*The butter must not be too soft but just enough to allow the knife cut through easily and still maintains its shape.

Just mix everything in a bowl and whisk till smooth. If the batter is too thin to your liking, add a teaspoon of icing sugar at a time and adjust accordingly. If it is too thick, add a teaspoon of liquid at a time until you get the right consistency. 
Fill it into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. The nozzle I used here is size 1M. Pipe directly onto cupcake and chill.


Enjoy! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment